|2 tablespoons packed light brown sugar|
|4 teaspoons whole-wheat flour|
|1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon|
|1 tablespoon butter , cut into small pieces|
|2 tablespoons finely chopped walnuts (optional)|
|1 cup whole-wheat flour|
|1 cup all-purpose flour|
|1 1/2 teaspoons baking powder|
|1/2 teaspoon baking soda|
|1/4 teaspoon salt|
|1 tablespoon ground cinnamon|
|1/2 teaspoon ground nutmeg|
|1 large egg|
|1/3 cup packed light brown sugar|
|1/2 cup apple butter , such as Smucker's|
|1/3 cup maple syrup|
|1/3 cup apple cider|
|1/3 cup low-fat plain yogurt|
|1/4 cup canola oil|
- Preheat oven to 400°F. Coat 12 muffin cups with cooking spray.
- To prepare streusel: Mix brown sugar, whole-wheat flour and cinnamon in a small bowl. Cut in butter with a pastry blender or your fingers until the mixture resembles coarse crumbs. Stir in walnuts, if using.
- To prepare muffins: Whisk whole-wheat flour, all-purpose flour, baking powder, baking soda, salt, cinnamon and nutmeg in a large bowl.
- Whisk egg and brown sugar in a medium bowl until smooth. Whisk in apple butter, syrup, cider, yogurt and oil. Make a well in the dry ingredients; add the wet ingredients and stir with a rubber spatula until just combined. Scoop the batter into the prepared muffin cups (they'll be quite full). Sprinkle with the streusel.
- Bake the muffins until the tops are golden brown and spring back when touched lightly, 15 to 25 minutes. Let cool in the pan for 5 minutes. Loosen edges and turn muffins out onto a wire rack to cool slightly before serving.