- 1/2 cup finely chopped scallion
- 1/4 cup finely chopped onion
- 3/4 teaspoon curry powder
- 1/4 teaspoon dried thyme
- 4 cups vegetable oil, divided
- 1/2 pound ground beef
- 2 tablespoons fine dry bread crumbs
- Hot sauce (preferably Jamaican)
- About 30 dumpling or wonton wrappers
Cook scallion, onion, curry powder, and thyme in 1 1/2 tablespoons oil with 1/2 teaspoon salt and 1/4 teaspoon pepper in a 10-inch skillet over medium heat, stirring occasionally, until softened, about 5 minutes. Stir in beef and bread crumbs and cook until meat is just cooked through, about 3 minutes. Season with hot sauce. Cool.
Put a rounded teaspoon filling in center of a wrapper. Lightly brush edge of wrapper with water, then fold in half (diagonally if square) and press to seal. Form remaining dumplings.
Heat 1 inch oil to 350°F in a 12-inch skillet. Fry dumplings in 3 batches, turning once or twice, until golden-brown, 2 to 3 minutes per batch.